Adoption Social Worker – Full Time
Job Title: Social Worker
Hours: Full Time
Starting Salary: £27,514 (NJC Scale Point 22)
Base: FCAS Belfast Office
Responsible to: Post Adoption Services Manager
To provide new families for children in need of permanence through adoption by the provision of a professional assessment and placement service. To provide ongoing post adoption support to adoptive families for as long as that is required. To facilitate contact between adopted children and birth family members where that has been deemed appropriate. To provide counselling and support services to birth family members who have lost a child to adoption.
Accountable to the Adoption Services Manager.
- To undertake adoption assessments with prospective adopters applying to Family Care Adoption Services across Northern Ireland
- To undertake adoption assessments on behalf of other agencies across Northern Ireland as and when required.
- To prepare children and adults for the placement of children into adoption.
- To provide ongoing Post Adoption support to adoptive families and children across Northern Ireland.
- To facilitate direct and indirect Post Adoption contact with children in adoption and their birth family members.
- To provide counselling and support services to birth family members who have lost a child to adoption across Northern Ireland.
- To contribute to all aspects of the development and maintenance of good social work practice with children, young people and families.
- To ensure that records and files are maintained to a high standard, in a timely manner and in compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements.
- To avail of supervision, training, and opportunities for continuing professional development.
- To access and participate in appropriate research and other activity relevant to improving standards in practice.
- To provide data for use in service development and monitoring performance and outcomes.
The key tasks outlined above may be altered to reflect changes within the services
Person Specification – Social Worker
- A recognised Social Work qualification
- Registered with NISCC
- At least two years post qualifying experience in a Family and Childcare setting.
- Relevant Social Work experience of adoption.
- Capable of demonstrating relevant knowledge of the Adoption (NI) Order 1987, Human Rights Act 1998 and Children NI Order 1995 and of pending Adoption Legislation in Northern Ireland.
- Hold a current driving licence and have full access to a vehicle. This criterion may be waived if a disability prohibits driving. In this case, please demonstrate how you would meet the mobility requirements of this regional post.
- Ability to work in partnership within the service and with colleagues in referring agencies.
- Ability to consult appropriately with Service Manager.
- Possession of good verbal and written communication skills.
- Possession of good time management skills and ability to prioritise work.
- Ability to work as a team member as well as act on own initiative.
- Commitment to equal opportunities and anti-discriminatory practice.
- Commitment to ensuring confidentiality of service users at all times.
- Willing to travel throughout Northern Ireland.
- Willing to work outside office hours if necessary.
- Experience of word processing and using Microsoft Office packages e.g Office 365, Word, Powerpoint
For an Application Form click the DOWNLOAD icon.
A Fair Employment Form is available from the Additional Documents section below.
Closing date for applications: Wednesday 25th May
Interviews will take place on the 31st May & 1st June
- Fair Employment Form.docx