HDANI Full Time Family Support Worker
Home based with regional travel as required
35 hrs per week
NJC Salary Scale 5, Pt 12 £22183
Closing date 13th Feb 2022 @4pm
Interviews will take place on 28th Feb 2022
HDANI works with people affected by Huntington’s Disease across Northern Ireland. With thanks to funding from the National Lottery Community Fund, we are seeking a full-time family support workers to join our dedicated team. We want staff to provide support and information to people affected by Huntington’s Disease and their families helping to maintain their independence and lead as normal a life as possible, empowering them to access their full entitlements, keeping them informed of developments in the management of the disease and assisting them in connecting and engaging with other people affected by HD.
The successful applicant should have a dedicated work space within their home and will work flexibly 35 hours a week attending events, meetings and visits as required. Staff are provided with home office equipment, internet access, a mobile phone and are paid mileage. Due to the current needs of the organisation, preference will be given to suitable applicants living in the Western Trust area.
Due to the nature of the post staff are required to have a full licence, car insurance (which will need to be updated for business cover) and have access to transport to allow them to fully meet the requirements of the post. This is a challenging and rewarding opportunity for someone with empathy, enthusiasm and experience in Health and Social Care to work with a remarkable and resilient group of people.
You will be passionate about helping people. You will have a qualification in social care/social work/nursing/counselling or other relevant area. You will have worked for over 2 years with individuals or families with complex needs preferably in the areas of mental health or disability. You will have a clear understanding of the range of statutory and voluntary services available to carers and people with a disability or serious illness. You will have an ability to work with people in crisis in a calm and professional manner. You will have exceptional communication skills and be empathetic and non-judgmental. You will be self-motivated and well organised with strong administrative skills. You will have experience of working from home and manage your time well. You will have an understanding of the need for client confidentiality and collaborative working and be able to travel independently within the service area. You will work flexibly and efficiently to meet the needs of clients and the Association. Ideally you will have knowledge and experience, gained either personally or professionally, of Huntington’s Disease, however full training and support will be given to the right candidate.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Support and Information
- Provide support and information to members via home visits, telephone, email and other communications.
- Work to maximise the membership of HDANI by ensuring a good working relationship and effective referral process with relevant statutory bodies e.g. the Genetics Department at Belfast City Hospital.
- Respond to enquiries about HD and the work of the Association, offering support or sign posting to other appropriate services provided by HDANI, the Genetics Department at Belfast City Hospital and other statutory and community / voluntary agencies.
- Advocate and represent individual’s needs when liaising with other organisations.
- Actively facilitate regional support groups and opportunities for members to connect.
- Raise awareness of HD and HDANI through engagement, information sharing and training with statutory and community/voluntary organisations.
- Contribute to the development of print and online materials including web content and newsletters.
- Engage with HD colleagues in other jurisdictions to develop and share best practice and support research & represent HDANI on relevant external partnerships and at meetings as required.
Administration and Reporting
- Maintain comprehensive individual/family client files.
- Keep an accurate record of your daily activities.
- Provide general day to day administration to support HDANI as required.
- Ensure compliance with all HDANI policies.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of HDANI strategies and operational plans.
- Assist with member activities including but not limited to befriending, awareness raising, events, youth activities and fundraising as required.
An application form is available via clicking the DOWNLOAD icon.
For all other documents needed to apply, please see the Additional Documents section below.
- HDANI Full Time Family Support Worker Job Spec May 2021.docx