About Real Estate
Our award winning international real estate practice has a reputation for executing the largest and most complex real estate deals with accuracy and at speed. We provide advice on all aspects of general commercial property including investment, restructuring, development, acquisitions, disposals, corporate occupiers, PPP, corporate support work and real estate finance. The ALT team provides innovative solutions and pricing options for delivering broader and more cost effective services to our clients without compromising on quality and working as an integrated part of the global real estate practice.
Senior Solicitors and Senior Former Practising Barristers ("FPBs") are experienced qualified Solicitors or Barristers, who work closely with the Managers, Legal supporting them in supervising and training teams of Solicitors, FPBs, Trainees and Legal Analysts.
The role involves supporting the Managers, Legal in supervising Solicitors, FPBs, Trainees and Legal Analysts on fee earning projects on a day to day basis. Senior Solicitors and Senior FPBs will be expected to play a proactive role in supervising the performance of fee earners and will be expected to assist the Managers, Legal with strategic management and delivery of matters. They will also be expected from time to time, to step up and lead projects, escalating to Managers, Legal who will support as necessary. Senior Solicitors and Senior FPBs will manage their own fee earning caseload, receiving instructions from and liaising directly with clients on day to day asset management transactions.
Senior Solicitors and Senior FPBs are key to our delivery of the highest standards of client service and may have to work into the evening from time to time (sometimes frequently for project management milestones or if deadlines approach).
Senior Solicitors and Senior FPBs will also have line management responsibility for groups of Solicitors, FPBs, Trainees, Legal Analyst (known as clusters) as direct reports. If qualified as a Solicitor in England and Wales, they may also have supervision responsibility Trainees.
This role will require the successful candidate to balance using their legal knowledge, skills and experience to assist the Managers, Legal in developing their relevant practice in the local office. It will also require a "can do" approach and – if appropriate, in specific circumstances – a willingness to lend a hand to other practice areas in the office.
Note that limited travel, to the Herbert Smith Freehills offices or to clients, may be required from time to time.
The responsibilities outlined above cannot totally encompass or define all tasks that may be required of the post-holder. The outline of responsibilities given above may, therefore, vary from time to time without materially changing either the character or level of responsibility or grade.
- Management of own fee earning workload;
- Supervision of the junior legal team on day to day transactional work;
- Supporting Managers with and where appropriate taking responsibility for project management of large scale due diligence and reviews, for example preparation of certificates of title and/or lease reporting in connection with portfolio disposals, acquisitions or refinancing;
- Business development both internally and externally; contributing to tenders and pitches, as well as liaising with colleagues across our global offices to develop new working partnerships and products;
- Supporting Managers with financial management, including reporting on WIP recovery and managing billing procedures;
- Recruitment support as and when necessary;
- Assisting Managers with people management, including performance reviews and performance management; and
- Contributing towards team business planning.
- Qualified solicitor or barrister in England and Wales or Northern Ireland, but Republic of Ireland or other common law jurisdictions will be considered. (If not qualified in England and Wales then willing to complete process to requalify as such, if required.)
- 4 + year's Real Estate post qualification experience.
- Experience working in a commercial legal environment, ideally a private practice law firm.
- Knowledge and experience of legal work for the relevant practice group, for example large scale document review, with the ability to project manage the process from instruction to completion.
- ?Experience of managing project teams including direct reports.
- Personal Leadership
- Steps up
- Demonstrates resilience
- Technical Capability
- Develops capability
- Applies capability
- Communicates clearly
- Collaborates with Others
- Operates as an effective team member
- Builds the capability of others
- Contributes to the success of others
- Plans and Delivers Outcomes
- Manages and executives the work
- Enhances the Client Experience
- Understands client needs
- Builds client relationships
- Demonstrates commercial awareness
- Contributes to Building the Firm
The closing date for receipt of CVs is 12.00pm (UK time) on Friday 21st January 2022.
- Builds networks and promotes the firm
- Contributes to and leverages networks
- Innovates for growth
At Herbert Smith Freehills you will be part of a diverse, innovative culture where high performance, client focus and highly engaged people are our differentiator. People at our firm come from a range of backgrounds and bring a wide variety of experiences and perspectives to their work with us. We strive to ensure that our inclusive environment means you feel valued and able to perform at your best by being your authentic self at work. We know that our future success not only depends on being innovative and progressive in the changing legal market but, most importantly, on our people feeling highly engaged in meaningful work.
We understand that you have commitments and personal interests outside of work and we strive to create a working environment based on mutual trust and respect, in which you can perform at your best whilst maintaining sustainable balance across your life.