We are seeking to hire a Reporter for the Farming Independent & Irish Independent to provide exclusive, quality journalism. This is a full-time, permanent role however, we will consider applicants who have a preference of part-time hours.
The ideal candidate will have a track record in news, with strong contacts in the agri-food sector and will also be an excellent writer who can analyse stories and write news features as required.
The role demands an ability to call a story, identify underlying themes and to explain complex developments crisply and accessibly for both a print and online audience. A keen of understanding of the agri-food/farming sector is important.
ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES (Overview)
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS (Minimum Experience & Essential Knowledge)
At least three years' experience as a journalist with a track record in breaking stories and original journalism. Experience in writing about rural affairs is an advantage
Technical & Non technical
- To break stories and be a champion for original journalism
- To be able to write analysis articles on complex issues in a concise and informative way
- Covering the breaking news and keeping stories updated across all print and digital platforms
- Building a strong network of contacts to maintain a flow of news ranging from political figures to the general public
- Collaborating with general news and other specialists, news editors, photographers and the Head of News in the newsroom
- Performing other duties on occasion as required by the Farming Editor or other relevant Editor
- News judgment and ability to write punchy stories and in-depth analysis
- Ability to use social media and other digital tools to source farming / rural news information - and to promote your journalism.
- Organisation - ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to manage time and story demands
- Strong team player who can work with other departments across the paper and business
- Ability to generate original and engaging ideas
- Self starting, shows initiative, operate without supervision, motivated
- Accuracy, fairness, balance, commitment to ethics
- Flexibility / willingness to adapt to technological and other changes
- Creative flair
- Ability to conceptualise
- Planning and organising
- Effective collaboration