Senior Youth Work Project Coordinator
BASED AT: Shaftesbury Community and Recreation Centre
RESPONSIBLE TO: Director of Services
Summary of terms and conditions
- 37.5 hours per week
- 25 days annual leave plus public holidays (pro-rata)
- Salary: £25,000
Lower Ormeau Residents Action Group (LORAG) was formed in 1987 to support the residents of Lower Ormeau. Initially set up to address many social problems in the area, the organisation has grown substantially and is now recognised as one of the leading community development organisations in the South Belfast area. LORAG is a company limited by guarantee and is recognised by the Inland Revenue as having charitable objectives.
LORAG manages the Shaftesbury Community and Recreation Centre (The Centre) and delivers a range of programmes and projects directly to the local community; these include youth, children, older peoples, health and sports activities. The Centre has a wide range of additional service including access to internal main hall, dance studio, external 3g pitch and state of the art gym facility that are delivered on as Social Economy Model.
The Lower Ormeau is a vibrant established community with strong community structures in place. It is an interface area with an increasing population of Cantonese, Chinese, African, Islamic, Polish and Roma communities and has a high density of students. The area lies adjacent to vibrant protestant and catholic communities, each with strong community structures.
The Centre is located within Inner South Neighbourhood Renewal area which has been identified as an area suffering from a broad range of poverty and deprivation issues. The area has a relatively young population and the recent completion of 250 new social houses, all of which were allocated on the bases of social need, has only added to the demand for well-run community lead services.
As part of its ongoing growth and development, LORAG is seeking to appoint a Senior Youth Project Coordinator who will be responsible for the development and delivery youth engagement programme funded under Neighbourhood Renewal.
The Project Senior Youth Work Coordinator will be a member of Lower Ormeau Residents Action Group staff team and will assist with the development, co-ordination and implementation of a programme designed to engage young people aged 14 – 20 from the Lower Ormeau area.
- To co-ordinate the youth programme and oversee the delivery of a youth drop-in facility, implement/embed the core project aims of Personal Development, Mentoring, Essential Life Skills and Activity Based Learning
- To develop and implement the use of appropriate reporting and data collection mechanisms
- To ensure timely delivery of all reports and administration
- To implement and develop the agreed project communications policy
- To act as a liaison between the consortium partner members to ensure high levels of communication
- To be responsible for the delivery and/or oversight of training and programme delivery to the cohort of young people
- To work intensively with young people involved in the Youth Programme to initiate, develop and complete individualised/person centred action plans to encourage positive changes for participants
- Ensure a standardisation of approach to delivering mentoring support to young people on the Youth Programme
- To assist in the recruitment, support and intensive working with young people enrolled in the Youth Programme
- To ensure that the programme enlist the support of BME communities
- To seek out and provide opportunities for community placements for young people
- To liaise with other key agencies/stakeholders to build a network of support for young people and provide relevant information and signposting, where appropriate
- To monitor and evaluate the project to ensure that the services offered meet the needs of young people
- To be responsible for maintaining accurate and up to date records
- To ensure that all necessary information is recorded and stored appropriately with respect to confidentiality
- To work as a member of the youth team and to engage in activities which promote and develop the project
- To attend training courses, strategic meetings and conferences as required
- To liaise with other relevant organisations to ensure breadth of opportunity for the young people on the programme
- To carry out such duties as may reasonably be required of the post holder
- To promote the project as appropriate
A full Person Specification is available from the Additional Documents section below.
Interested applicants please complete the attached Application form CLICKING DOWNLOAD APPLICATION PACK
Applications should be returned to:
97 Balfour Avenue
Closing date for applications: Friday 18th October 2019 @ 4.00pm
LOWER ORMEAU RESIDENTS ACTION GROUP IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER AND WELCOMES APPLICATIONS FROM ALL SECTIONS OF THE COMMUNITY
- Youth co ordinator job specification.docx