Community Outreach Cohesion Coordinator
Based At: Shaftesbury Community and Recreation Centre
Responsible To: Director of Services
Salary: £26,999 per annum NJC SCP Pt 23 (37.5hrs pro rata)
Contract: Initially for 12 months (subject to performance review)
Holidays: 25 days per year plus statutory holidays.
Hours of Work: 37 Willingness to work flexible hours essential (with time off in lieu arrangements)
The project Cohesion Coordinator will be a member of the Lower Ormeau Residents Action Group staff team and will assist with the development, coordination and implementation of a cohesion project within the Shaftesbury and Botanic Wards. The post holder will foster collaboration between residents, community partners and external agencies in order to facilitate change and opportunities to build community capacity and cohesion.
The ideal candidate will have experience in a similar role, preferably within a community, charitable environment. They will be an effective leader with experience of managing people, partnerships and programmes demonstrating innovation, creativity and a passion for excellence.
Range of Responsibilities:
The role involves working in partnership with a wide range of people from within the voluntary/community, public and private sectors towards promoting community cohesion, cultural diversity, reducing racism and sectarianism in the Shaftesbury and Botanic Wards by:
- Offering support, development and co-ordination to existing groups and new and emerging groups on community cohesion, capacity building, challenging sectarianism, racism and facilitating inter-cultural relationship building.
- Liaising with community groups to build cohesion and capacity in developing support for anti-sectarian and racist practice including raising awareness within schools and working with children/youth/community workers to deliver learning and leadership programmes
- Mapping existing relations work, identifying good practice, support the development of networks
- Developing local networks, community responses and strategies
- Helping to articulate the needs and cultures of indigenous and minority ethnic groups to eliminate discrimination
- Dealing with conflict, sectarian and racial harassment and attacks through assisting with the development of:
o Effective Community Communication Networks
o Proactive Engagement & Early Intervention
o Development & Promotion of Quarterly Newsletters
- Bringing a race relations perspective in regard to the development of strategic planning and proposals, and supporting groups to access and deliver training to promote good race relations
- Organising conferences, seminars and workshops with groups in Shaftesbury and Botanic Wards to foster debate about race relations work and its development and practice in the community
- Representing the Shaftesbury and Botanic Network externally at certain public events, including seminars and conferences
- Reporting progress to the employer and Botanic and Shaftesbury Network and project Advisory Sub-Group
- Carrying out any reasonable duties required by LORAG.
A full Person Specification is available from the Additional Documents section below.
Interested applicants please complete the attached Application form CLICKING DOWNLOAD APPLICATION PACK
Applications should be returned to:
97 Balfour Avenue
Closing date for applications: Friday 18th October 2019 @ 4.00pm
LOWER ORMEAU RESIDENTS ACTION GROUP IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER AND WELCOMES APPLICATIONS FROM ALL SECTIONS OF THE COMMUNITY
- CCC job specification.docx