Systems Administrator / Desktop Support (#048)
Andras House, 60 Great Victoria St, Belfast BT2 7BB, UK
HighWire's mission is to extend the reach, impact, and exchange of scholarly ideas through innovative technology, exceptional service, and community engagement. Used by millions of scholarly researchers worldwide, with thousnads of scholarly journals and scholarly books, HighWire provides powerful technology solutions to influential societies, university presses and independent publishers who produce high-impact journals, books, and other scholarly publications.
You will have the opportunity to work hand-in-hand with the world's best-known publishers, researchers and industry thought leaders. Together you will help shape the future of technology solutions for the scholarly community. You will enjoy a flexible, collaborative and a stimulating work environment that will keep you engaged. It will be an unbeatable experience.
If you are interested in starting a progressive and gratifying career with a growth company that is charting new territory, then HighWire is the place for you!
As a Systems Admisnistrator / Desktop Support you are member of our global Systems Operations team, focused on the technical work of troubleshooting and resolving technology issues at the server and service infrastructure level.
- Provide systems administration support across all products and services in our SaaS environment
- Accountable for the upkeep, configuration, and reliable operation of our computer systems globally, including but not limited to, acquiring, installing, and/or upgrading computer components and software; providing routine automation; maintaining security policies; troubleshooting; and technical support for projects
- Accounable for ensuring uptime, performance, resources, and security meet and exceed the needs of our customers
- Operate with a high degree of autonomy, a friendly and helpful attitude, and be comfortable working in a fast-paced high tech environment
- Responsible for the ongoing maintenance and future planning needs of the company’s desktop environment
- Collaborate with existing vendors to evaluate the new technology that is available and make recommendations to management on using that technology
- Monitor the performance of the company’s desktop infrastructure and make suggestions for improving efficiency
- Evaluate applications and software patches for desktop applications to see if they will solve desktop issues
- Partner with peers across the global HighWire Press team to ensure successful planning, design and deployment of projects
- Support a high performing and collaborative set of customer groups and be a key contributor to ongoing and accelerated growth
- Communicate technical ideas effectively, in oral and written forms, and solve complex problems in a team environment will also be considered
- Self-motivated, goal oriented, tactfully tenacious
- Can work independently or collaborate in a team environment
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Communicates well both verbally and written
- Ability to effectively multi-task and prioritize
- Willingness to learn new technologies and skills sets and adapt to rapidly changing priorities
- Ability to lift and install network & server equipment (approximately 30lbs)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Must be willing to participate in On-Call rotation with other Technical Operations team members requiring work availablity outside of normal business hours
- Extensive knowledge of Linux operating system, performance tuning ((RedHat, CentOS,)
- Working knowledge of enterprise storage systems including administration of the SAN, performance management and NFS (Netapp preferred)
- Significant experience with VMWare administration including configuration, upgrades and provisioning of all ESX 6.x components
- Hands-on experience provisioning and operating cloud-based applications (AWS preferred)
- Experience with deployment of automation tools for DevOps, Jenkins, Ansible, GitHub
- Experience with Content Delivery Networks, DNS and securing public websites
- Ability to automate tasks using Shell, Power Shell, Python
- Bachelor’s Degree in CS, CIS, MIS or equivalent secondary education preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of monitoring tools (Nagios, New Relic, Cacti, etc.)
- Experience identifying opportunities for automation and automated repair/restoral of services
- At least 2 years experience working as a system administrator in a production operations capacity
HighWire offers an outstanding total compensation package including excellent health and wellness benefits and a flexible and dynamic work environment.
Interested applicants should apply online VIA CLICKING THE APPLY NOW BUTTON
HighWire is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.